Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Street Food

One of the cheapest things to each in China is street food. Here are a selection of photos of some street food we have had around town.


Here we are buying Peking duck for dinner from this van. This place is very popular. 1/2 a Peking duck (duck, the tortillas, green onions, and sauce) is about 14 RMB, which works out to about.... 2 or 3 CDN. Pretty good deal!




Here is another popular lady. She sells fresh popcorn. She hand-cranks it. So good. We have tried two flavours so far, one is a lightly sweetened one, the other one was chocolate. It's not drowning in sugar, so it's very tasty. Especially when you share.
1 giant bag => 4 RMB (less than 1 CDN)




We ate some dumplings from this lady. She had a stall in a street market in Tianjin. They were super cheap. I think we got like 36 of them for 5 RMB? I don't really remember -- someone else paid. But they were good!








Some other foods we have purchased on the street --- we have had fried dough balls (with some seafood inside), popped corn chips (you have to see/smell them!), squid skewers, deep fried calamari, green onion bread. We'll post some pictures later, as I don't have them on me now.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, fresh popcorns! Loved those when I was a kid.

Street food is delicious but you guys better make sure that it is up to health standards. Not uncommon people get sick after eating street food.

Anonymous said...

Hi I miss you guys! Calvin has your Chinese improved? Let's do a simple test:say I enjoy Tianjing street food in Chinese. :P

Allison I like street food too! These food reminds me lots of my childhood memories! You have to try TangHuLu(糖葫芦) in the winter time. :D

Anonymous said...

yes, listen to james! he knows what he is talking about!
You guys be careful, don't get tooo adventurous now. i don't even eat at night market over here!
mom

Anonymous said...

Aw man... ma didn't know how to use the comments function - she did it under 'anonymous' but then signed her name Bahahaha.... Yannyway, that stuff looks... a bit... SKETCHY! but... sounds way delicious!

Anonymous said...

what? wesley told me what to do!

Calvin said...

Christine,
我很喜欢吃天津的路边小吃。
Everyone else....yeah, pretty sketchy the food. But that's not just street food, it's everything. Everybody has stomach issues quite commonly. In class, the kids often come up to me with a pained look on their face and clutching their stomach and say Teacher, stomach pain. This is at least once or twice a class. In Canada, you know they would be just wandering the halls goofing off. In China, you know it's for real!

Anonymous said...

U. Joe
You two are so courageous to eat these food. Just looking at the pictures give me diarrhea. I am glad your stomach can stand it. I was with my friend in Beijing where we visited Wangfujiang and supposed to get clean street food and all the stores were stainless steel and vendors were in uniform and still my friend got sick for two days after eating there. I will be in Guangzhou from Oct 9th - 12th. Maybe c u there.